Residents who meet certain criteria can benefit from a free gas connection and new gas central heating system from the Cosy Devon Central Heating Fund. Applications for the fund must be made before the end of August. The grant can fund a connection to the gas grid and a complete central heating system, including an efficient gas boiler, radiators in every room with thermostatic radiator valves, a room thermostat and a timer control programmer.
For a household to qualify, the criteria are:
- The house must either be:
- not yet connected to the gas mains, but gas must be near by, or
- connected to gas, but have no installed central heating system
- If the house is currently heated with electric heaters, at least one of them must be broken or not working properly
- The resident must own or privately rent their home (consent from the landlord would be required)
- The person / people living in the house must either be:
- In receipt of certain benefits and be able to provide evidence of this; or
- On a low income (<£16,010 per year gross) and referred by a health professional because they have a long-term health condition that is exacerbated by living in a cold home.
361 Energy CIC have helped Ilfracombe resident, Nick, access the Cosy Devon Central Heating Fund. He previously had electric night storage heaters, but these had broken and he was relying on plug-in heaters. Last month he had a brand new energy efficient gas boiler and radiators installed thanks to the Cosy Devon Central Heating Fund. Nick wanted to include an advanced NEST thermostat to the system, which he paid for himself. Apart from that, the installation has cost him and the landlord nothing. The value of the gas connection was £617 while the central heating system was worth £3958.
We have also helped Ilfracombe landlord Mike Chadwick access the Cosy Devon Central Heating Fund for several flats in Ilfracombe High Street with eligible tenants. He has had the gas connections installed for four flats which were previously not connected to the gas mains. The gas boilers and central heating systems will be installed soon.
If you think you may also be eligible for a free gas central heating system, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can advise you about eligibility and the application process. Alternatively visit Cosy Devon for more information.
There are over 150 properties in Ilfracombe and Combe Martin which may be eligible for the Central Heating Fund. 361 Energy are joining One Ilfracombe and the Fire Service to visit properties which may be eligible and make them aware of the Cosy Devon scheme before it closes at the end of August.