361 EmpowerAssistance and advice to those in fuel poverty
EMPOWER is a fuel poverty project targeting a specific area in North Devon, Ilfracombe, which has high levels of deprivation and no local fuel poverty services besides those offered through this project. Over the course of the project we have expanded it to cover households across North Devon.
The project works in close partnership with agencies in Ilfracombe to identify and refer vulnerable households in the area. Once enrolled onto the programme it offers a comprehensive behaviour change support programme which includes the following:
- A fuel debt service in partnership with established agencies such as SCRIBES CIC which will provide switching and fuel debt assistance
- One-to-one, in-home support by qualified energy assessors/champions. Support will include providing some energy saving equipment such energy monitors (wireless electricity meters with in home display unit); LED light bulbs, radiator reflector panels, remote controlled sockets, showertime monitors
- The one-to-one support will include setting up a process to collect regular utility usage data and providing feedback on this.
- A liaison service between tenants and landlords will also be offered to explore ways of funding fabric and heating system improvements in homes that are rented and for those owned.
The project will work with at least 25 residents and be formally evaluated against aims, objectives and learning achieved. Having actual utility consumption data will enable the project to be evaluated in terms of actual savings to residents.
Aims and objectives:
- The establishment of a dedicated fuel poverty service in Ilfracombe in partnership with Scribes SW (CIC)
- Wider partnership working between agencies in Ilfracombe and 361 Energy to deliver effective fuel poverty advocacy in the area and beyond.
- A regular drop-in service which serves Ilfracombe and rural hinterland that Ilfracombe serves.
- 25 vulnerable householders receiving intensive one-to-one support in this phase of the project
- Provide a clear case with demonstrable benefits to vulnerable households for future funding applications so we can extend this service and make sustainable.
361 Energy received a grant of £9525 from the Ebico Trust for Sustainable Development in February 2015 and this will fund the 361 Empower service for one year.